Wednesday, August 19, 2020

My Popa Dodge

My Grandfather Dodge Simmons was and is a very special person. Everyone loved him, I have a lot of wonderful memories with him. He was born in Albany Georgia, he had a very serious and jovial personality. He always had the biggest smile on his face and would always help out his neighbors whenever he could or when they would call him. His neighbors would all always call him Mr.Dodge! He was a sibling of 8. And His mom Annie bell and his dad Nathaniel had a total of 9 children. He loved his siblings and family. He also loved Albany Georgia. They had a lot of good food and fruit down there.He loved the Georgia Peaches. He had a lot of different phrases that he would use a lot of the time. He was a wonderful father to his kids. His kids loved him a lot. He was also in the army for quite a while, He was an outstanding solider and he loved serving and protecting his country. 

I would love when my mom, me and my brother would go down to Orlando Florida to visit him, I would give a big bear hug, he loved bear hugs. He also lived close to Walt Disney World, He had special connections so we would be able to go into Disney World for free, We would have the most wonderful time. Sometimes My mom would leave me and my brother down in Florida to visit with my Grandfather a little more and we would go on road trips then, and go to different states and see family. When we would get hungry,  He would say that we would always want Mcdonalds chicken nuggets every time. We had a lot of fun together. When I was involved in chorus in high school, we went to Virginia beach to sing, and My Grandfather and mom decided to come down to virginia beach to surprise me and watch me sing. We were getting ready and then I hear my name being called and I look over, I see my grandfather sitting in one of the chairs for the concert. I was so surprised and elated to see him.  He was my best friend and would always know how to put a smile on my face. He would call me his little emerald. A special memory I have with him is when I was moving from eight grade to ninth grade, He came and celebrated with me. That was a special moment in my life. I was so Happy he was able to share that moment with me and be able to come to my transfer. 

A funny memory I have is we went to red lobster to have lunch, He saw that I was getting the captains meal, It is a very large meal, we decided to share it together. Every time  I go to red lobster I always get the captain meal in memory of him because thats the last meal we shared together.  I will hold this memory in my heart forever, he gave me a special music box that plays you are so beautiful to me. He gave it to me because he loved having me as a granddaughter and I was very beautiful to him and he loved me so much. We had a very special relationship, he gave me a lot of good talks and advice that I will always remember and keep in my heart.

I chose to write about him, because he was an amazing and uplifting person, he lit up the world. He would put a smile on anyones face and make their day, He loved God and his family. He was a big family man and always stayed in touch with family. He would be called Mr.Dodge by friends, and Family would call him Uncle Dodge or Daddy Dodge. He treated everyone very good and respectfully. The last time I saw my grandfather, was when he was in the hospital, he had gotten very sick, I will always remember the last words he told me, he was in the elevator on his way down to surgery, and I was in the hallway looking at him, he saw me and said go ahead lynne, he sometimes called me lynne or em, he said your popa will be ok. I love you. 

My favorite thing about my Grandfather was his smile and voice, I loved hearing his voice, It would bring a smile to my heart. I miss him so much, I know he is watching over me and the family. He is always in my heart. Family is very important to me too, I love my family, they mean everything to me. I love them with all my Heart. He is inside all of us. He always kept the faith. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Drum line

Hey Everyone !!  Hope you are having a wonderful and amazing day!! I have decided to do a blog on one of my favorite movies Drumline Starrin...